This is one of things you certainly already had to do.. You are working remotely and for some reason your session freezes (Windows, you know) and you can’t do anything.. Usually you would ask for a colleague that seats nearby to hard reboot your desktop, but what happens when that is not possible???
Now, how to perform a remote shutdown/restart on a Windows box:
- Open Computer Management (Local)
In the console tree, right-click Computer Management (Local), and then click Connect to another computer.
- In the Select Computer dialog box, click Another computer, type the name of the computer that you want to restart or shut down, and then click OK. You can also click Browse to search for the name of the computer.
- In the console tree, right-click Computer Management (Remote computer name), and then click Properties.
- On the Advanced tab, click Startup and Recovery.
- Click Shut Down to open the Shut Down dialog box.
- Under Action, select the actions you want to perform on the computer to which you are connected.
- Under Force Apps Closed, select the circumstances under which you want to force applications to close when you shut down or restart the computer, and then click OK.
- To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
- You must be recognized as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer and on the computer you are managing to perform this task.